DONATE or VOLUNTEER
Food and fund drives are wonderful ways to support the Food Bank’s work. We encourage you to seek donations of protein items (tuna, canned meat, peanut butter, etc.), prepared foods (canned stews, chili, ravioli, hearty soups, etc.), and cereal if you are conducting a food drive. All food items are appreciated, but some are more difficult to get, and therefore are more valuable for the agencies we serve.
We also encourage you to offer people the opportunity to make a financial donation in lieu of a food donation. People often forget to bring in food or would prefer to donate cash, so collecting monetary donations allows more people to participate and makes the drive more successful. We use the funds to pick up, store, and distribute the large amount of donated food we receive from the food industry.
How To Host a Food Drive
To make your food drive a success, follow these handy tips. For more information, please contact the Food Bank at 845 534 5344.
- Register your food drive with the Food Bank by completing and returning the Food_Drive_Registration_Form.pdf Submitting this form puts you on our Food Drive Calendar and helps us keep things organized
- Create a theme for your food drive. Use our theme guide for ideas, or create your own. Run a food drive in connection with a special event or holiday celebration. Click here for a list of food drive favorites.
- Set a date for your food drive. A two-week food drive is usually about right. Shorter food drives need to be very well publicized to be effective
- Publicize, publicize, publicize! Posters, flyers, e-mails, newsletter articles, payroll inserts, and public service announcements are all effective ways to let people know about your food drive. It helps to provide people with a contact person within your organization who can answer questions
- Choose a method for collecting food. Please keep collection containers to a reasonable size. Remember that even a small box will become quite heavy when filled with canned food. Please fill boxes only until the lid can be placed securely on top or the flaps can be folded down. This makes it easier to stack boxes when your collection is done
- Double the value of your donation by delivering it directly to the Food Bank - preferably on a Tuesday or Thursday when the warehouse is a bit less hectic. If you let us know when you’re dropping off your food, we can arrange a tour of our warehouse for you. If a pick-up by the Food Bank is necessary, arrangements must be made in advance
- Thank everyone in your organization for their participation
- Share your information with us. If your organization’s newsletter or local paper publishes anything regarding your food drive, please send us a copy for our records. Thank you!
If you are interested in holding a food drive, contact: